Tuesday, June 17, 2008

I'M SCARED TO LOOK IN THE POOL

Our pool has been open for just over a month now. I had NO IDEA when we became pool owners that we would be fishing out all kinds of little creatures from the pool....Some alive and others not so fortunate. Every morning I take a quick look out the window to see if anything might be swimming (or floating) in the pool. I then walk down to the pool and peek into the little hole of the skimmer bucket to see if anything is floating around in there. Yesterday, there were two frogs in there. One was still alive, the other croaked (no pun intended ;). Then, I looked at the bottom of the pool and saw THIS crawling around.......A cray fish! Peaches had to dive in last night to pull him out of the pool. Thank goodness this little guy made it out okay.....And that Peaches already had a full stomach!

A couple weeks ago I found something that looked like THIS in the skimmer. He was not so lucky and I was pretty freaked out. I didn't know we had these guys in Michigan!!!

I've lost track how many frogs I've pulled out of there. More dead than alive. Very sad. I think the frog population is really dropping off in my neck of the woods.


We have lost three mice to the pool so far this summer. The third one was pulled out this morning. I was able to save one little mouse a couple of weeks ago. Poor little guy was so tired and probably was just minutes away from drowning. I'm so happy I looked out the window when I did. I think he was pretty happy too.


Just when I was dumping the remains of the lizard looking thing, I turned around and saw a baby red squirrel swimming in the pool!! Thank goodness, I was able to get him out. I wouldn't have wanted to find him in the bucket. He was such a cute little guy.


I know it's just a matter of time before we have a snake in there. I saw one the other night near the pool and made Peaches carry him off to the woods. I. Don't. Like. Snakes. I really think I might see if Peaches can set his alarm a few minutes early in the morning so that he can be the one on skimmer patrol.

7 Comments:

Blogger kc said...

at least you know you have wild life outside of the home, and hopefully not inside. I'm proud of you for being so brave. Keep up the good work.

8:29 AM  
Blogger OziMum said...

Maybe they were the 3 blind mice?!!! Oh gosh, I crack myself up!!!

Far out! You've got a right, wildlife preserve (although you're not really preserving too many!) there!!! Our crayfish, look more like lobsters - that picture looks like a yabby!

Good job on rescuing the squirrel!

11:33 PM  
Blogger Alyson and Ford said...

I don't think I would look forward to checking the pool! What poor animal will be next??

Alyson LID 01/27/06

5:10 PM  
Blogger Lisa and Tate said...

Yikes... I guess you have learned to look before you jump on in!!! Hoping the snake does not find the pool!

On last post... glad the stress is better in your life... peace.. tranquil.

1:31 AM  
Blogger Shannon said...

I didn't even think about the wildlife that would like to share a pool. Makes me feel better about not having one! Bah, who's kidding who?! =) Peaches rocks.

4:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Crawfish is good eatin' down here in the South!

4:49 PM  
Blogger Dawn S. said...

oh.my.word.

11:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

..