Wednesday, January 23, 2008

THE END OF A LONG RELATIONSHIP

I came home yesterday and as I do most days.....I opened up my mail. I opened up a statement from my credit card company and immediately noticed that they hadn't posted my last payment that I had mailed to them. I immediately picked up the phone to call them (even tho I had all the checking account info at work) in hopes that they might have found my payment. Here is how the conversation went........

Me: Hello, I just received my statement and noticed that a check I had mailed out in December hasn't been posted to my account.

Customer Service: Mother's maiden name please.

Me: ######

Customer Service: Can you verify your home address and telephone.

Me: Yes, blah blah blah blah blah blah 555-555-5555.

Customer Service: Is this your phone number with the last four digits of 1111.

Me: No, I just gave you my phone number.

Customer Service: How can I help you?

Me: Like I said, I mailed a check out in December and my statement shows that you haven't received it. Can you check on that for me?

Customer Service: No, we never received it.

Me: Ummm, I mailed it out EARLY (well before the due date) on December 21, before I went out of town.

Customer Service: No, we didn't get it. If you mailed it in December we won't be getting it now.....It's already February.

Me: It's January, not February. (Thought in head.....It probably got lost because of all the flippin' Christmas card mail....February? What a moron!!).

Customer Service: Oh yeah, it's January. So do you want to pay by phone today?

Me: No, I want to call my bank tomorrow and if it hasn't cleared, I want to stop payment on the check.

Customer Service: You can still pay by phone today.

Me: No, I will call you tomorrow after I talk to my bank and pay then!!!! (Thought in head......You flippin' idiot!!!)

Customer Service: You know, we WILL be calling you if we don't receive your payment.

Me: No, you WON'T be calling me because I'm taking care of it tomorrow!!!!!! Listen, transfer me to someone that can cancel my card. (Thought in head.....HELLOOOOOOO, I called YOU!! If I was dodging payment.....I WOULDN'T HAVE CALLED YOU!!!!!)

Customer Service: Alright. (Possibly thought in head.....Geez, what's her problem?)

(LONG TIME ON HOLD)

2ND Customer Service Rep: How can I help you today?

Me: I wish to cancel my credit card.

2ND Customer Service Rep: May I ask why?

Me: (Huge sigh) I have had this credit card for 25 YEARS and have NEVER once been late on a payment and and your customer service person has treated me as if I'm a total deadbeat and don't pay my bills!!!!! My check must have gotten lost in the mail and I called to try and get it straightened out. He keeps telling me to pay today and I told him that I'll pay it tomorrow after I call my bank and he said he WILL be calling me if I don't send my payment and I don't think he should treat people like deadbeats that pay their bills.....Just look at my payment history! (Totally out of breathe and red faced).

2ND Customer Service Rep: I'm sorry to hear that. Are you sure you wish to cancel your credit card?

Me: Yes, cancel it. (Thought in head.....Great, now I don't have another credit card and I knew my account number by heart cause I had it soooooooo long (and I used it a bunch of times!), but they shouldn't treat people like that....Oh great, I wonder if I can use a debit card in China.....I'm going to have to fill out an application for the next credit card that comes in the mail....That should be tomorrow!!!)

2ND Customer Service Re: Alright, your card has been cancelled. Is there anything else I can do for you today?

Me: I don't think so. (Thought in head....Sniff. I had that card before I was married to EITHER of my husbands and now it's gone. Just. Like. That.)

My relationship with my credit card company is officially over. It almost feels like a divorce or something. Twenty-five years is a long time and it was over in a heartbeat. I have no idea how long it's going to take me to get over how 0ur good relationship turned ugly so quickly. Can I use a debit card in China?

11 Comments:

Blogger ~Kristen said...

Hey there... Don't "know" you yet... but will next month!!

Sorry to hear about your crappy CC company... but from what I just read about from one of my agency "friends" who is in China right now... she had problems actually using her visa card (many places did not take credit cards)and wished she had brought her ATM card with her. She had to borrow money from her travel mate to get by because she did not bring her bank card. SO you should be fine with a debit card only!!

~Kristen

7:10 PM  
Blogger t~ said...

Wow, I feel like I need to send you a sympathy card. I say just bring good hard cash to China, cuz you know if we are there the same time, I won't share. *snort*

8:58 PM  
Blogger LaLa said...

Sorry..what crappy service!

Yeah, just take cash...and lots of it for shopping : )

I know we used CC in China some but our friend couldn't use his AMEX??

10:25 PM  
Blogger OziMum said...

Geez, you are loyal!!! I think I swap every couple of years, coz another bank offers more frequent flyers or something!!!

I'm taking cash to China. I'll bring CC as a back up... but I'm hoping we won't spend too much (hahaha!) and we'll be good with our cash!

1:41 AM  
Blogger Pug Mama said...

sounds like my recent break-up with beef. and pork.
anyway, I JUST got through paying bills, and OF COURSE, because everything with us happens the same, I opened the credit card bill and it said we were one freakin' month behind!!!!
I just got off the phone with the bank getting the check numbers of my last four months of payments and the dates the checks cleared, to prove that I have IN FACT sent them a payment each and every month (they are saying we missed Dec)
Getting ready to call them
will let you know how it goes......
that is our ONLY credit card. We hate charging - we are a pay for it by cash or debit type of couple.
we shall see.......

9:51 AM  
Blogger Ava's family said...

pug mama,
Yeah, I was hoping that my check cleared the bank so I could rub their noses in it, but no. So, $29stop payment fee and $39 late fee! Hope things turn out better for you.

11:37 AM  
Blogger redmaryjanes said...

I had to do that with one of my favorite cards too. It was tough. You'll find a new card, a better card. There are a lot of fish, I mean cards in the sea. : )

3:50 PM  
Blogger Lynn said...

I cancelled my 'first' card too when a large number of their customers had gotten their numbers stolen (mine) and that they were issuing me a new number.

I said 'no thanks'...

5:13 PM  
Blogger Polar Bear said...

So sad when they have morons on the other end.

My sympathies... ;o)

7:46 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Too bad about the CC company. I was lucky yesterday though. My renter's insurance was cancelled because I did forget to make a payment. When I called in the lady said, "oh, you've been with us since 98 so I'll reinstate you this one time." Boy was I grateful. Don't you wish all companies were like this.

3:49 PM  
Blogger Headmeister said...

You know what? Same EXACT thing happened to me too!!! I STILL know that CC number by heart and I canceled it 4 years ago!!! Sorry to hear you had to deal with customer service hell. At least you'll get a nice new shiny card :)

10:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

..