Monday, September 17, 2007

WHEN ARE YOU BRINGING THAT LITTLE GIRL (OR BOY FOR SOME FAMILIES) HOME?

Yep, that's the million dollar question for all of us in the China adoption program. I forget that some of my readers aren't in the adoption program and have no idea about how or why things are taking so long. This post is for them.

We started in August, 2005 with what is known as the paperchase. We had physicals, fingerprints, meetings with our social worker to complete a home study, wrote essays, obtained police clearance letters, income verification, reference letters from friends, ordered birth certificates & marriage license, had passport photos taken and waited patiently (BWAHAHAHAHA) for our immigration approval. We then had all of our documents notarized and authenticated and our precious dossier was complete. Our paperchase took a total of 6 months to complete and our paperwork headed off to China on February 10, 2006. We waited patiently (BWAHAHAHAHA) until we were notified of our LID (log in date) . Our LID is March 8, 2006. When we started the process it was taking about 6 months after your LID to receive "the call" (or your referral) with your child's information and picture. I remember hoping that we would be home BEFORE the kids returned to school in September, 2006. Sigh. Things started to REALLY slow down with the China program (Ummm, the month we started our paperchase) and the wait has been growing each and every month. Why? Don't know. I can only speculate, so I won't.

As of last month, they gave referrals to families that were logged in between November 21, 2005 and November 25, 2005.....4 days. As someone that frequents a site called RQ (Rumor Queen), I know that based on RQ's polls there were quite a few families logged in during that 4 day period. I also know that things should start to speed up a little bit when we reach the smaller months (months that less families are logged in). As you can see from the poll, November was a much larger month and that's probably is the reason it's taking so long to get through. We have had quite a few large months behind us and are looking forward to finally getting into the smaller ones and hoping the pace picks up a little bit. When I say speed up, I'm thinking they might be able to process 15-18 days each month. I hope. Thank goodness, we're logged in at the beginning of March. If you will notice from the poll, they expect March to be a rather large month and therefore, take quite awhile to get through.

As of right now, 102 days separate us from the cut off from this month's batch of referrals (November 25, 2005). How long will it take for the CCAA to process 102 days? Don't know. We can look back at the history of the last 18 months to get an average. I'm not going to use the average number of days over the last 6 months because I know that those were larger months (more families logged in during that time). If we use an average of the last 12 months that we get 10.5. If you divide 102 by 10.5 you get: 9.7142857 or about July, 2008 before we will receive our referral. Like I said previously, I'm REALLY hoping that they can start doing about 15 days worth per month (when we get into the smaller months) and we can receive our referral in about May, 2008. Really hoping.



This adoption has truly been one of the hardest things I've ever been through in my life...... It's also been one the most amazing experiences I've ever been through. If it wasn't for this loooooooong wait, I might never have met all the wonderful people that are on this same journey. I honestly don't know what I would have done if our family was traveling on this path alone. For that, I'm grateful for the wait. I also know that someday when I look in Ava's eyes for the first time, I'll be thinking......THANK GOODNESS the wait took as long as it did because it gave me her. For that, I'm also grateful.


13 Comments:

Blogger redmaryjanes said...

That post was really positive. I have to say that I have learned a lot about what to expect from the trip to China and from our child when we have her by blogging. I wouldn't be half as prepared I'm sure if the wait wasn't what it is. I also have really enjoyed all of the people I have met.

2:11 PM  
Blogger t~ said...

You see, I blog about fabric today and I click over here and I'm reminded once again that I'm still waiting patiently for my girl. (BWAWAWAWA)!

I'm glad I've met the gals I have along this journey as well. I like your prediction and I soooo hope your right!

3:28 PM  
Blogger RoLo said...

The "good" part of the wait is all the bloggy friends we have made/are making:)

7:08 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Great idea for a post! I'd do one too, but our friends and family have quit asking about the adoption, it seems... Like many, every month I get my hopes up and then get them smashed when referrals arrive. I swear that I won't do it again the next month,etc. Here I am again this month hoping for some great news. I'm even dreaming that they start referring whole months again!!! I should learn my lesson but I REALLY feel like things are going to start moving. Looking at the poll numbers gives me reason to hope! I really think that if we can get through the next 4-5 months, things are going to start getting pretty exciting!!!

9:21 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

Good grief... it is a wonder to me why this process, once so streamlined and efficient, has become such a loggerhead...

As for the million dollar question... well, you ought to just have little index cards at the ready to hand out again and again.

10:00 PM  
Blogger OziMum said...

I must have missed that RQ post with the Which month were you logged in results! Holy cow! 450 for Nov... little wonder it's taking so long to get through it!

Thank you Lisa - your post has given me hope, that in the up and coming months... we should see more days of allocations coming through?!!

;) I'm so glad you're posting again... I really missed you, when you were off having fun in the Summer!!!

7:17 AM  
Blogger Pug Mama said...

from someone who does not read RQ, I have been telling people about 10 more months - I guess i am thinking the same thing you are.
Guess I need to get off my bom bom and redo my paper work....I let it ALL expire.

10:28 AM  
Blogger kc said...

whoa . . . Aren't you just the math whiz! You would make Mr. Koelzer proud. Ms. Baker too! Anyway - I'm thinking about you guys and praying that your time frame is wrong and will happen quicker than anticipated.

3:01 PM  
Blogger J said...

I think I will just send all of my friends and family members to read this post. I will just have to adjust a few of the dates. You said it sooo well.

Cheers,
Your not so secret pal

10:43 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

If the wait were this long when we were adopting Nathan, I don't know if I could have done this again.

9:22 AM  
Blogger Lynn said...

Sigh, such a peaceful explaination... are you on Prozac??

Just Kidding!!!

I go in spurts of being calm about the process and totally devastated... I'm just coming out of my most recent breakdown...

Girlfriends... the only way to get through it!

4:00 PM  
Blogger Yoli said...

It is the hardest part of adopting from China. However, you get to know yourself so deeply. You get to see what you are made of and get to meet an incredible community of parents. Hang in there.

Hugs,
Yoli

9:57 PM  
Blogger Colleen said...

I say April.

I agree...the wait has at least brought us some amazing friendships. Ones that we would never have had. For that I am so grateful.

It will speed up. I know it. It doesn't make it easier to swallow. I know.

9:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

..