Wednesday, September 12, 2007

THE TUBE OF DOOM

See that yellow tube that Hope and her friend are sitting on? That is what I call the tube of doom.........


We (or I guess I should say I) purchased this fun looking tube in July when we were getting together with some good friends of ours. The three boys (Griffin and my friend's two boys) had a hard time staying on the new tube when they first started out. After they got going for awhile it seemed like all was good (and I didn't waste $185) up until they took their first real fall. They all clunked heads and swore they NEVER wanted to ride the tube again. I was thinking my friend's kids must be just wimps (KIDDING!) and thought I wouldn't give up hope that they would learn to LOVE my new purchase!!!

Hope and Bells really wanted to try the new tube out a few weeks later. I was AMAZED at how well these girls handled the tube. Bells was even jumping from one tube to the other and they were having a BLAST. I thought that as long as they only rode two at a time that everything would be okay. All was good with the world until..................... Griffin and Hope climbed on the tube. Griffin was sitting with his legs stretched out in front of him and THAT is what did it. When it happened we weren't going very fast and were driving straight ahead. The kids leaned the opposite way when they were coming out of the wake and the tube tipped over. It was the WORST thing in the world to see Jeff haul Griffin out of the water and lay him on the back of the boat with a broken leg. The. Worst.

We knew that there was NO WAY that we could get him into the back of our car without help. We were SO lucky as one of the other seasonal campers just happens to be a paramedic and just happened to be at the boat dock when we pulled up. We're so grateful for him and for our friend Ranger Steve for stopping all traffic so that we could exit the water right away. Then, a nurse just happened to walk up and offer her help. We made the decision to call a ambulance instead of trying to load Griffin into the back of our car. We weren't even certain that Griffin's leg was broken because he wasn't showing the normal signs of a fracture, but there was NO WAY I was going to watch him be lifted off the back of the boat without a board. We definitely knew we made the right decision after viewing his x-rays and seeing what a NASTY break it was.







What was "kinda" funny about the whole thing..... Hope and Bells were talking before we went tubing that they wanted to go "extreme tubing" that day.....They said they wouldn't be happy unless they had battle scars. Yep, they talk a good game. Griffin was the one that didn't even care if we went tubing that day and never mentioned wanting any battle scars. Jeff had responded to the girls, "It's all fun and games until the ambulance pulls up" before the accident happened. Griffin will always be able to remember their day of "extreme tubing" when he looks at his battle scars. The girls say they're ready for round 2.

Thank you to Bells for the use of the photo's for this post.

12 Comments:

Blogger 4D said...

I am so sorry to hear the Griffin was hurt. I hope he heals quickly.

Hugs!

Keep smilin!

1:57 PM  
Blogger C's Mom said...

Yow! Extreme tubing was a bite for G.

I'd say that tube cost more than $185. Ah well, he'll always have the stories.

2:02 PM  
Blogger redmaryjanes said...

I have seen similar tubes on our lake. Our neighbors have one called the hot dog.
I won't be buying one and will share your story. How is Griffin feeling?

2:10 PM  
Blogger cougchick said...

Ouch! I hate when something fun turns into something painful.

2:46 PM  
Blogger Ava's family said...

rmj,
Griffin is doing VERY well. He is getting around pretty good with his crutches and seeing a physical therapist 3 x per week. He doesn't have a cast (just the plate and screws inside his leg) so he has been able to get in our pool and that has been great therapy.

3:46 PM  
Blogger kitchu said...

Oh man! I'm still stuck on that comment made PRIOR to the whole broken leg ("it's all fun and games until..")...

Hope Griffin is doing okay now!

6:23 PM  
Blogger t~ said...

Oooo, we call that tube the hot dog as well and the boys always wanted one. There not getting one for sure now! Sorry your good time ended in pain. Hope G heals soon!

9:22 PM  
Blogger OziMum said...

Its all fun, until someone loses and eye (or breaks a leg!)

I smacked my wrist on the top of my ski when I come off, I didn't break it, but I still have a huge boney lump sticking out of my wrist! The things we do in the name of "fun" !!!

11:20 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Oh, crap! We leave for our annual Mexico block trip (we're an hour from the border so not quite as exotic as it seems) in about 5 weeks. We always ride those things and the kids are really looking forward to it the most. Now, I might have to be the nervous nelly mother and forbid them. Can you imagine if we had an accident like yours (bad enough!) and were out of the country? No bueno! Glad to hear that Griffin is on the mend!

11:33 PM  
Blogger Lynn said...

Uhhggghhhh!!! What a nightmare. Been through a compound fractured arm with Chris... never want to do that again..

Prayers of healing for Griffin, and that the 'flashbacks' stop for you!

7:48 AM  
Blogger Truly Blessed said...

Ouch!!

My DH purchased a "kite tube" last summer ("for extreme tubing!! I wasn't thrilled with the pictures on the box (the tube was like 10' above the water!

I guess my good sense prevailed, because DH returned it unopened for a refund.

It was later recalled after four people died while being hurled through the air and landing on their necks.

So glad Griffin "only" has a broken leg!

2:01 PM  
Blogger kc said...

Lisa - when are you bringing that Little Girl home! 18 months seems like 18 years -

By the way - good luck with that leg Griffin!

2:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

..