Wednesday, March 28, 2007

WHEN IT RAINS, IT POURS

I know I'm a bit early posting my monthly update. Our family has had a lot of stress this past month and I'm feeling the need to lean on my online family.

First, Ian (my 6 year old) has been battling the flu on and off for the last 4 1/2 weeks. Ian has basically come down with flu symptoms 3 separate occasions with a fever thrown in a 4th time. I also had the flu back in February and my other son had it a week or so later. I figured we must have had two different strains of the flu in our house. Ian also had one of the bouts two days after he received his Hep A shot (end of February). I took him to the doctor on Monday after the symptoms returned. They were unable to do a strep test because, Ian is not the easiest patient to deal with. They also tried to do a urine test, but Ian wasn't able to go. I later took his urine sample to the hospital and that came back negative. Yesterday, the doctors office called and told me that they were calling in a prescription for Zantac (for upset stomach). I picked it up yesterday afternoon and gave Ian a dose. Ian had been symptom free of the flu symptoms for 30 hours.....He was symptom free for 24 hours BEFORE he took the Zantac. Ian woke us up around midnight last night after he had thrown up. I thought I better give him another dose of the Zantac and send him back to bed. After I gave him another dose (and turned on the light to clean up after him), I noticed that he was COVERED in hives! I immediately took him to the hospital and we were there for a couple hours during the night. They said that he must be allergic to the Zantac and gave him something to relieve the hives. I had them perform the strep test and it came back negative...sigh. The hives are completely gone this morning. I'm curious if ANYONE has heard this is a bad flu season and people getting it more than once. PLEASE leave me a comment as I'm scared to death over this.

Then, I get a call from Griffin's school that he hurt his knee in his 1st hour gym class. Thank God, my mother was able to go pick him up so I wouldn't need to take Ian out of the house. We made a call to Jeff and decided to send him to have an x-ray taken. My mom took him up to our office and I'm just waiting to hear what Jeff thinks is wrong with it.

Lastly, we have been going through unbelievable stress and heartache over someone close to us. It's nothing that I feel that I can mention on this blog, so I must keep silent. I'm at the point now, that I know that it's out of my hands. If you could send some good thoughts our way, I would be grateful.

19 Comments:

Blogger LaLa said...

I hope he is feeling better soon and the knee isn't bad. It is so hard having a child sick. I will be thinking of you guys.

1:01 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

I'm keeping your in my thoughts....I hope that everyone is feeling better soon. We have also been having problems with the flu bug in our family too!

Hugs!!

2:27 PM  
Blogger Dawn and Dale said...

Oh my1!!! I'm soooo sorry to hear how things are going around there!!

We too had a really bad flu bug going around in circles around here the last few months.

I thought we were officially over it but Carter had a fever yesterday morning again and Chase woke up with a sore throat today! Grrr...this one just doesn't seem to be going away anytime soon eaither.

Hope everyone feels better soon!! Blessings for your friends family as well!!

((HUGS))

Love Dawn

3:41 PM  
Blogger 4D said...

Sounds really stressful! I hope things turn around and everyone is back to being healthy and happy again.

I will keep you all in my thoughts and prayers.

Keep smilin!

5:59 PM  
Blogger Lisa and Tate said...

Thoughts and BIG HUGS!!! Sorry things are tough... but remember it can only get better!!!

Hmmmm, I got the DPT shot in February and had a huge lump on my arm for weeks... then I had the worst lingering flu that I have had EVER.... I wonder if it could be the shots???

HUGS
Lisa

7:50 PM  
Blogger C's Mom said...

Good thoughts abound for you and yours! It WILL pass...even though it can feel unending when you are in the middle of the stress.

10:02 PM  
Blogger t~ said...

I'm sorry Lisa, that's crappy.

The flu season down here in Florida has been extremely mild this year. Last year it was alot worse. In fact, I haven't heard of anyone getting it. Maybe it could be related to the shots.

Thinking of you and sending a big hug your way!

10:07 PM  
Blogger J said...

So sorry to hear that your family has had such a tough flu season. Luckily our family faired pretty well this winter but here in MN we had a pretty tough flu season. Most of the really, really bad cases were people that had not gotten a flu shot. I know I will definitely be getting the flu shot next year. I will try to send some good vibes your way. Your cyber friends are here for you.

Joanne

11:31 PM  
Blogger Polar Bear said...

I'm so sorry you have all of this going on. I hope that all is better soon.

All of you are in my thoughts and prayers.

6:01 AM  
Blogger Lynn said...

Sending prayers of healing and calm to you and your family.

There is nothing more heartbreaking for a mother than seeing her children unhappy in any form.

My heart goes out to you. Cuddle with Ian and watch "Little Bear" the music alone will relax you both!

9:19 AM  
Blogger Truly Blessed said...

Yuck - that stuff is supposed to confine itself to WINTER -- doesn't the flu know that it's SPRING already?

Here's hoping your boys are quick to heal (thank God the hives are gone!) and that G doesn't have anything seriously wrong with his knee.

Here's also hoping that my son is w-r-o-n-g about the s-n-o-w this weekend and that the weather turns beautiful again.

Hang in there, Momma, things will get better soon!

9:36 AM  
Blogger redmaryjanes said...

Since we live close to each other, let me tell you that this has been the worst flu season we have ever had. Eli had stomach flu for well over 14 days. Tyler has been out for a week on 2 seperate occasions. Kate got the stomach flu too. It's been a horrible winter. I am so over it. Thank goodness we are leaving for vacation on Friday.
Hang in there. This stomach flu thing is bizarre. They throw up and then they seem ok for almost 30 hours and then it hits again and you go back and forth for weeks. My sympathies are with you. Steffie who also lives nearby had her toddler son with it and her junior high daughter was ill for 2 weeks also.

On another note, we are starting up an international mothers group in Western Michigan and I was wondering if that was something you may want to be a part of?

10:28 AM  
Blogger Lynn said...

I'm glad your boys are doing better!

I hope Griffin heals quickly... tell him about all the attention he will get using those crutches!

Have a wonderful weekend and pray the stork brings LOTS of referrals soon!

11:56 AM  
Blogger Julie said...

Oh Lisa I am so sorry to hear that you have been going through so much lately. I am sure your son will be fine. Children are resilient - but it is mom's job to worry nonetheless eh?

Sending you a giant cyber hug. I miss your posts but I understand that you are taking a much needed break.

Julie

9:36 PM  
Blogger Nikki said...

Oh my!
You poor thing. I will keep your family in my prayers. Poor Ian, I know how that must just break your heart to see him sick, over and over again. This did seem like a very illness filled winter ( I had sooo many friends who could not seem to keep their kids healthy for more than a couple weeks at a time).
Spring is in the air, and I think things will be looking up!

10:25 AM  
Blogger cougchick said...

We had a similar flu season last year but lucked out this year. As for the allergic reaction that can be scary. As a nurse, my kids tend to get very little sympathy as I tend to "under-dramatize" everything. Allergic reactions are a different story. Things can go really wrong, really fast. it was smart you took him to the ER and i would watch him close when giving him any new medications in the future. He may have other drug allergies that you don't know about.
Hopefully you will all be healthy soon. Spring is here and we can start opening up the windows and getting some fresh air which will help.

Best wishes from Washington...

1:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are in my thoughts. Having a sick/injured kid is the worst. Hope everyone feels better soon. One of my friends kids was just diagnosed with mono, maybe something to look into if he doesn't feel better soon.

Hope your other situation sorts itself out soon and you can relax and recoop.

Beth
LID 4/19/06

1:49 PM  
Blogger OziMum said...

Hey, sweetie! What a crappy month its been for you guys. Not last year, but the year before, the flu just kept circulating around our house all winter. It was awful. Thankfully no one really got sick last year.
You are right, it doesn't rain unless it pours. The rain will stop, and the sun will shine. Hang in there.

7:37 PM  
Blogger Colleen said...

OMG - you go on a break - I go away to the Bahamas and come back to check and hear this. I am so sorry and hope that things get better soon for your sweetie.

I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your bird too. Loosing a pet plain sucks.

11:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

..