Saturday, March 31, 2007

GOODBYE MY LITTLE SOPHIA

(Sophia is the one in front)

I came home from work yesterday and found my little female cockatiel was sick. I called the vet and they had me come right over. My little Sophia was what they call egg bound. She had this huge egg inside of her that was to big for her to pass. The doctor was able to remove the egg, but warned me that it was still touch and go with her. Their poor little bodies can fill with toxins because the egg had blocked her from going to the bathroom. I was surprised that she made it through the night. I took her back to the vet this morning because I noticed she still hadn't gone to the bathroom. The doctor said she had a 50/50 chance, but our little Sophia passed away this afternoon.

I had no idea that she could produce eggs without a nesting box in her cage. Our other bird is named Ellie, but we have always suspected "she" might be a "he". The doctor said that Ellie might be a girl, but if Sophia thought of Ellie as a mate, she could still produce eggs. Poor Ellie was calling to Sophia this morning, but Sophia was to weak to call back. Jeff buried Sophia outside under the bird bath.

Thanks for all your comments regarding my boys. Ian hasn't gotten sick since I last posted (knock on wood). Griffin's knee wasn't broken and he is doing much better. He only was on crutches for two days. Thank you for putting us in your thoughts and prayers.

Come on referrals!!! It would be nice to have some good news around here!

13 Comments:

Blogger OziMum said...

Oh no! Poor little birdie! My thoughts are with you guys, and Ellie!

7:39 PM  
Blogger t~ said...

I'm so sorry. Little Ms. Sophia was a pretty little birdie. I hope Ellie doesn't get love sick from missing her.

8:11 PM  
Blogger C's Mom said...

Awww. Poor Sophia...and Ellie who will be lonely without her friend.

8:45 PM  
Blogger 4D said...

I am so sorry to hear about Sophia. What a pretty birdie!

11:32 PM  
Blogger kitchu said...

SO sorry about Sophia... it breaks my heart that she went through all of that...and I'm sad for Ellie who misses her "mate".

8:51 AM  
Blogger Polar Bear said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. Your family and Ellie are in my thoughts.

9:00 AM  
Blogger redmaryjanes said...

I am sorry!

1:45 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

It sounds like your family is really going through a hard time. I'm very sorry about the poor bird. My folks have a pair and I know that though they are 'just birds' my parents and the remaining one would grieve their passing, should one of them die. Hope things start to turn around for you all now.

9:39 PM  
Blogger cougchick said...

My thoughts are with you!

11:38 PM  
Blogger Nikki said...

I am so sorry about little Sophia.

Yes, let's pray a little good news your way!!!!

12:43 PM  
Blogger Johnny said...

Condolences.

4:43 PM  
Blogger Shannon said...

I am so sorry about Sophia. Sending you hugs.

3:30 PM  
Blogger 3 Peanuts said...

So sorry about Sophia:(

Kim

8:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

..