Thursday, February 15, 2007

BE AFRAID.....BE VERY AFRAID....ESPECIALLY IF YOU LIVE IN MICHIGAN


Hope just received her Level 1 driving permit.....This means that she can drive with a parent or other driver over the age of 21. Have you ever noticed that kids just look younger and younger behind the wheel of a car?......It's because THEY ARE! In Michigan, you are able to obtain a Level 1 driving permit at the age of 14 and 8 months! Hope will be 16 in July, so she was MUCH older than the other kids in the class. I just took her to Secretary of State yesterday to obtain her permit. When we were leaving, (with my heart pounding) I handed her the keys to the car. I mumbled something like.....I can't believe that I'm putting my life, Luna & Bella's in your hands and we drove off. I'm not sure if that was what made her nervous or just because it was "officially" the first time behind the wheel with her mother. We only drove about 1/2 mile and she made two boo boo's. First, she came up to a red light and apparently read the sign that you can turn right on red.....Sooooooo, she did......WITHOUT even coming to a stop......AT ALL! Then, about 1/4 of a mile beyond that, we were coming up on a yellow light & she just went right on thru.......IT WAS COMPLETELY RED AT THE TIME.....NOT ORANGE......RED!!!!!! I'm so proud of myself because my voice remained calm during the entire experience. However, Hope said that I was pounding my hand on the seat....I really don't remember that....It's possible.

Jeff said that I probably make her nervous and that's why she messed up.......I have to say that the feeling is mutual. I think Dad is going to have to be the one to drive with her over the next 6 months until she gets her Level 2 license (then she can drive by herself). One good thing......A child is not allowed to advance unless a parent thinks they're ready. Don't worry.....Hope is going to get much needed practice until we let that happen!

Also, we will make sure she pulls her bangs away from both eyes....I know her hair looks cute in the picture....It's just not driving hair.

12 Comments:

Blogger 4D said...

Congrats Hope! That is a big moment in a young persons life.

Be safe and don't give your Mom too many grey hairs!!

Keep smilin!

10:21 AM  
Blogger t~ said...

14! That's young! Good thing she's older, or you might have had heart failure.

We Floridians are at a safe distance from Hope, let me know if she has any Florida trip planned so we can stay home.

12:03 PM  
Blogger Lynn said...

LOL!!!

I'm glad I live MILES away!! Just kidding!

14? Yikes! My parents didn't 'ever' let me get my licence! On my 18th birthday my mom finally took me!

38 degrees next week huh? Maybe my husband will take the Christmas lights down!!!

12:12 PM  
Blogger Colleen said...

OMG - thats funny!! (well, sortof). Glad I am a long distance away too. Its bad enough I am in the same state with a 19 year old sister - that just wrecked her car on the highway...nice.

12:29 PM  
Blogger Robin said...

14.. Holy cow.. I thought 15 and 6 months was young for a permit...

Trust me, you'll survive. I did and I went through it with 3 out of 5 of our kids. It's rough though, especially the first time they go out on their very own.. Geesh...

{{Hugs}}

4:14 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

I can't get over a 14 yr old with a permit! Yikes!

I'm sure it was just her nerves!

4:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My guess is that you don't remember banging your fists on the seat because you have temporary memory loss caused by Post Traumatic Stress Disorder!!

Congratulations to your daughter on getting her permit.

Signed,
A person who is also glad she does not live in Michigan (heehee)

12:19 AM  
Blogger Truly Blessed said...

As one of your "neighbors" (I'm in Ada), I'll keep a look out for Hope behind the wheel, and will be sure to tell you if I see her with her bangs in her eyes!

I've got an almost 16 year old with his learner's permit. Sitting in the passenger seat being chauffered by someone whose tush you used to wipe daily is a surreal experience!

Congratulations to Hope, and extra congrats to Mom for holding her tongue!

7:41 AM  
Blogger Shannon said...

Oh my! I just realized I hadn't thought this raising a child thing through! =)
The parents still make me nervous when driving...oh, that's when they are driving! Oh well. Happy and safe driving, Hope!

8:06 PM  
Blogger Pug Mama said...

ohhhhhhhh, good luck Lisa, I mean Hope.
def. need to tuck the bangs behind the ear because,
A. too pretty to being hiding half her face behind hair
B. need BOTH eyes to drive

8:06 PM  
Blogger Polar Bear said...

I don't think I drove with my mom until AFTER I had my license. There are just a few things that Dads are better at. :)

Good Luck!

2:39 AM  
Blogger OziMum said...

LOL!!! Gorgeous photo, although I was thinking, how the heck is she gonna be able to see, only looking out one eye?!!! (sorry Hope!)

Thanks for the laugh, I needed it - I'm so glad it you, not me - I've got another 7 years yet!!!

7:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

..