Wednesday, January 24, 2007

FINDING LOVE ON THE BUS

I'M BAAAAAACK!!!!! Jeff called me early this morning to tell me that some Blogger's were going to be putting out a SOS since I have been MIA for a couple weeks. I have excuses but.......Their lame. Truth is......I stink and I am NOT worthy of calling myself a Blogger. I won't bore you with my reasons for being MIA....Just know that it's NOT because I'm depressed about the slowness of the adoption. Anyhoo, I promised to tell you my bus driver story a couple weeks ago. Here it goes......

Alright, let me just say that I wasn't slow and therefore, I didn't graduate at 22. In fact, I was the second youngest in my graduating class at R.U. High (Yup, that's what they called it). When I was 16 I still rode the bus home from school. One day.... I headed out to my bus and low and behold.......It wasn't my scary old bus driver in the drivers seat! I had seen the young guy (he was 21) around before but had never spoken with him. In fact, he had driven the bus I was on to band camp the summer before. I would sit near the front of the bus because I was one of the first stops. Alright, I also thought he was kinda cute!!! I would talk to him on the way home and I found out that he also worked at the gas station that was at the corner near my house. My friend Lauren (or Madge as I call her) and I decided that we would walk past the gas station in hopes of seeing Dana (she also had a crush on him) and pretend we were going to the store. We did this several times and then........One day I decided to go by myself. It was THAT day that Dana asked me out. Let me tell you, Lauren was TICKED OFF! I realize that there was a HUGE age difference but I was smitten. We actually dated on and off for two years. I have to tell you that dating your bus driver had it's advantages and disadvantages.

Advantage: A bus stop was created especially for me at the end of my driveway.

Disadvantage: School employee's are NOT allowed to attend dances.

Here is a picture of Dana & I. I must tell you that I had JUST had my wisdom teeth pulled when this picture was taken. I also would like to add that my daughter, Hope (and Ava) WILL NOT be allowed to date anyone that much older than they are. Just thought I would tell you that.




Dana and I remained friends even after we broke up. Every few years he would call me and we would catch up on what was going on in our lives. The last time I talked to him, I remember hanging up the phone and thinking it would be the last time we would speak......It was just a feeling......That was over 8 years ago.

One evening in July, 1998 I became all of a sudden sick with the flu. I mean, it came out of NO WHERE! I remember that my face was burning hot and yet my body was freezing cold. My body ached so badly that I remember actually crawling when I had to go to the bathroom. The next morning, I was fine. I told Jeff during the night that I felt like I had been hit by a truck. A couple days later I found out that Dana died that very night. Dana was stuck and killed instantly while crossing the road. He was hit by a truck.

13 Comments:

Blogger 4D said...

Great to hear from you!

That is a freaky story! What an awful coincidence.

Keep smilin!

4:45 PM  
Blogger Pug Mama said...

oh how I missed you so...
here I had a real snappy comment about the bus driver then I read the last sentence.
very sad.
sorry

5:37 PM  
Blogger t~ said...

Well, I missed ya, glad your back. I kept checking but the stupid "tagged boys" kept popping up.

Did you have to start back with a very sad story??? That's awful and I am so sorry. You two were quite cute together, he certainly doesn't look like any bus driver I or my kids have ever had. Now I get it.

Welcome back, maybe a trip to Florida is just what you need!

5:57 PM  
Blogger Ava's family said...

Dana was a truly nice human being. I had the occasional chat with him on the phone when he would call. I know he carried a torch for Lisa until he passed. He was one of those people of great potential that had none of the encouragement or opportunities that many of us have enjoyed. Makes you appreciate where you come from. I most enjoyed stoking old arguments between these two just to watch the fur fly! So long.
Jeff

6:36 PM  
Blogger Julie said...

OMG!! What a very sad ending!

Julie

7:59 PM  
Blogger Elle said...

That gave me chills...

Glad your back!

8:31 PM  
Blogger Angela said...

OMG! what a truly GREAT story! (sorry that your friend died though, that is so sad!)
I believe there are no coincidences! It all happens for a reason, and there are others at work around us all the time, which we can't see!

9:08 PM  
Blogger C's Mom said...

Holy Mac! That's a freaky story...before that ending I was going to make some saucy comments but no more.

Glad you've come home, oh prodigal blogger.

R.U. High? Gotta be kiddin' me.

10:47 PM  
Blogger Polar Bear said...

Welcome back!

That is an eerie story! Sorry to hear that, he sounds like a great guy.

6:22 PM  
Blogger Julie said...

TAG! You're it!

Check my blog for details ...

Julie :o)

7:31 PM  
Blogger OziMum said...

Holy Moly! That's a bit spooky. So sorry your friend died. Awful.

Glad you're back!

...Jeff, you're plain naughty...

8:05 PM  
Blogger Ava's family said...

lee-anne, I'm only a "niggly bit" naughty (authentic Australian slang)!
Jeff

9:04 PM  
Blogger Kim M. said...

Welcome back.

That was a sad and touching story. Dana was lucky to have a friend like you in his life and it sounds like you were lucky too!

11:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

..