Monday, November 06, 2006

CHICAGO


Create Your Own!

Before I tell you about our little trip to Chicago.....Melissa, are you not proud of me for doing the slideshow? I was so proud of it, I had to put it first.

Jeff and I left our house about 6:00 A.M. on Saturday to head to Chicago to meet Melissa & Darren and Kim & Mike (I guess on occasion, Mike also goes by Steve, hee hee). We were told that it takes about 3 hours from our place to Chicago. I had told Melissa and Kim that we would meet them in the lobby of the hotel at 9:30. At about 9:15, I decided to give both of them a call to tell them where we were at. I was worried that we might be a little bit late so I thought I better check in with them. First, I called Melissa and I got her voice mail and I left her a message. Then, I called Kim and left a message on her voice mail. About 10 minutes later I get a call from Melissa. She informs me that it is NOT 9:30 but 8:30 (Chicago is 1 hour behind us). I'm feeling like a complete idiot at this point but I am sooooo happy that I am actually early. I tell her not to rush and that Jeff and I were going to get gas and we would be there soon. I'm here to tell you that there are NO gas stations (and no bathrooms) in Chicago. My car is showing zero miles until empty and there isn't a gas station in site. Jeff is getting a little worked up at this point and giving me a lecture on why I shouldn't run my gas tank down so low. Finally, we find a station and all is good in the world. We then head back to try and find the hotel. I'm getting a little anxious because I realize that Jeff doesn't know where the hell he's going. The man used to live in Chicago for 7 years BUT he has no idea where we are. We are winding around street after street for what seems like FOREVER. Jeff then turns on to a street right into on coming traffic! I was REALLY freaking out when I noticed that he starts turning the map around in all directions. We FINALLY made it to the hotel about the time we were supposed to meet.We spot Darren right away when we walked into the lobby. Darren is one BIG man (NOT obese, just tall and muscular)! I was quite relieved thinking that if we had any trouble on the streets of Chicago, Darren had our backs!

I have to tell you that Melissa & Kim are EXACTLY the same people that you would expect from reading their blogs! It was not at all like meeting strangers, it was like getting together with old friends. Melissa is SO funny and Kim couldn't be any sweeter! After we got there we had some breakfast and then headed out to do a little shopping. I REALLY thought I was a shopper but then I met Darren. That man bought so much stuff that there was even some talk about having to ship things home! We then headed to Michigan Avenue to walk around some more. I have to say....THANK GOD for Kim & Mike, they were the ONLY ones that knew where we were going. If it wasn't for them, we would have been in serious trouble. I was a little worried when Mike gave his map away to a stranger on the street (see how nice these people are!) but he didn't need it. Mike & Kim had everything under control.

During our walk, we stopped off at the Apple Store so that we were able to get on the internet because we were all having the shakes being away from the blogs (the guys, not so much!). We were able to get another look at the BEAUTIFUL Maisie. We were able to talk about Tracy some more (Tracy, we would NEVER laugh about your blue heart post...Other things, yes, NOT the blue heart). Time kinda slips away once you get on the computer. We turn around and notice the men have all left the store!

We headed back to our hotel and sat around the lobby and to visit some more. Melissa and Kim brought such wonderful gifts for Ava. Kim gave us the cutest little pink frame that had Ava's name on it. Kim also gave us an ornament that had a stork on it. They were both ADORABLE! Melissa gave Ava a cute little pair of jeans and a pink shirt. I had also bought a cute little pair of jeans and a pink shirt for Melissa's Ava & Kim's Emma. Melissa and I ONCE again were on the same page! Melissa also gave Ava some Little People toys and a little Chinese doll that had a red thread in her pocket. Thank you both soooo much!

We met everyone on Sunday morning for breakfast. We noticed this BEAUTIFUL little girl at the next table that was from China. Melissa (the brave one) introduces herself to the mother and gets us the low down on the little girl. We thought it was best to explain to the mother that we were all in the process of adopting since NONE of us could keep our eyes off that beautiful baby girl! After breakfast we had to say our goodbyes. I wish so much that I lived closer to all of them. I'm here to tell you, there are MANY freaks on the internet BUT we managed to meet good friends. Jeff and I feel so fortunate to have met them all. I hope that it won't be long until we all get together again.....IN China!!

12 Comments:

Blogger Lisa~~ said...

Thanks for the weekend recap, it sounds like you all had so much fun. Thanks also for stalking our site to check out our little cue ball cutie Maisie. Hopefully you girls will be able to get together again soon, with your little ones there too.

5:05 PM  
Blogger 4D said...

Sounds like a great time! Thanks for sharing your photos and the recap.

Keep smilin!

5:06 PM  
Blogger Pug Mama said...

First of all Lisa, I could hardly read your post because I was laughing so hard at the two pictures of David...I mean Darren. OMG!!!
I swear people, even though my husband looks drunk in BOTH photos he only had ONE beer!!!
We need to do that again soon.
(by that I mean get together - NOT laugh at Darren)

5:57 PM  
Blogger Ava's family said...

Melissa,
Darren does kinda look like he smoked his lunch in the first picture! Too funny!! I'm here to tell EVERYONE that he DIDN'T so there will be NO reporting that to our agency (Bethany).

6:05 PM  
Blogger t~ said...

You guys are funny! It sounds as though a good time was held by all. Maybe you could swing a last minute flight to Fla. for another girly girl weekend! The forcast is set for 85 and sunny......are you booking that ticket yet???

6:52 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

It sounds like a great Chicago weekend. It also sounds like we may be neighbors. I live about two hours east of Chicago, so we're an hour ahead, too. :o)

7:40 PM  
Blogger Colleen said...

C'mon Lisa! Come to FLA with us. You still have a few days to book!! It sounds like you all had such a good time. What fun - new adventures with new friends. Makes me all the more excited for this weekend. ..........You can do it! Call Delta.

8:41 PM  
Blogger Angela said...

Oh, I hate driving in/through Chicago, we go up to Wisconsin every once in a while, and once we missed the bypass, and my DH tried to get off to turn around, but the exit we took did not have any on-ramps, so needless to say, we got really lost, had to stop for directions, it was horrible! Lily was only a year and a half old at the time, she was tired of being in the car for the past 10 hours! I bet he won't miss the bypass next time, huh!!!
I'm glad ya'll had fun!

10:50 PM  
Blogger C's Mom said...

Glad you had fun! I had a wonderful weekend with the sweet freaks I met too :0) Seriously, like you, what great women I was lucky enough to meet.

12:04 AM  
Blogger Elle said...

Y'all are too funny! The trip sounds like so much fun! Love the pictures.

7:24 AM  
Blogger Dawn and Dale said...

WOW!! Man! Everyone had a BLOGGER GET TOGETHER WEEKEND!!

I'm sooooo jealous!!

Looks like you had a blast!!

5:58 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Looks like you had a great time...I'm so jealous! If you would like to thaw out in January (the 13th), think about coming to Tucson for a blog-pal get-together. Mexican food, 70-80 degree weather, ...

7:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

..